Monday, October 16, 2023

Amanda Mundon, Another TRiO SSS Success Story...

My name is Amanda Mundon. If my memory serves me correctly, I started at WCC in Fall of 2015 and graduated with a Liberal Arts degree in Spring 2017. I transferred to University of Hawaii at Manoa in Fall of 2017 into the School of Social Work program and graduated with my Master's degree from the School of Social Work in 2020. When I returned to college as a non-traditional student, I was intimidated to be on a new campus but WCC quickly felt like home. Looking back, WCC will always hold a special place in my heart. It was and still is my favorite campus to be on. As a single parent, I often spent a lot of my free time on campus in TRiO SSS. TRiO provided me a space to study quietly, I also frequently utilized the free printing and computer access that TRiO provides to keep up with class assignments. TRiO also served as a place to get support from staff with any questions as they came up. TRiO also offered assistance with applying for FAFSA, grants and scholarships, they even hosting sessions to help support with writing personal statements. I know it may feel like an extra task to apply for grants and scholarships. However, I strongly encourage current students to apply to as many as possible. My entire Bachelors and Master's program was completely covered by utilizing these resources. It was such a breath of relief to not have to rely on loans to complete my education. If you take away anything from me, please let it be, that you are capable of achieving your educational goals. Take advantage of the support TRiO has to offer and the stars are the limit. 

No comments: